Saturday, January 5, 2013

Look Y'all! - GLASS

For all of you who have been in my house...  To a person, I always have to tell the story about this sign when people come over.   During Hurricane Katrina, the glass broke and  I was embarrassed to bring it to the sign store!  Well - the glass came to me and it looks so much better?!!

When I lived in San Francisco, a homeless man named Sterling who was 54, lived in front of my building.  I met him the first day I moved there and he was shocked that I spoke to him which shocked me.  We became fast friends and I brought his daily coffee on my way out the door in the morning and often shared dinner with him.  Without fail, he would meet me at the bus stop when it was dark to make sure I made it home safely.  It broke my heart that Sterling had to use the bottom of coke bottles as a magnifying glass to read the paper and books and when I met an Eye Doctor I was thrilled when he agreed to give him some eye glasses. .  We had a wonderful relationship for 4 years.  Before I moved to Los Angeles, I brought Sterling a new box and marker and asked if I could buy his sign and he agreed.  It has been in my homes for 23 years.  It reminds me that by the grace of God go I...  I got my last letter from him 21 years ago and not a day goes by that I don't walk by, kiss my hand and touch the sign.

No comments: