Saturday, March 6, 2010
Friday, March 5, 2010
Thursday, March 4, 2010
|The LA/SPCA’s 28th annual Dog Day Afternoon is one of the oldest dog/fun walk-a-thons in the United States and an original Louisiana event. It provides the perfect festive setting to celebrate our canine companions and make them feel like royalty.|
The day highlight is a dog/fun walk-a-thon in New Orleans City Park. This year Lucy Bustamante/WWL TV and Catherine Shreves/ABC 26 head the celebrity emceed festivities that continue all day with live music from Groovy 7 and DJ Afrodisiak, foods and specialty drinks from great local restaurants, animal vendors and artists, dog obedience demos, Raising Cane's sponsored dog contests and great prizes!
It's attended by over 2,000 family and canine members and generates 5% of the annual operating budget of the LA/SPCA.
Register NOW to Walk and Win, WOOF!
(Day of registration starts at 10:30am)
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
- Where are you from? How long have you been in New Orleans? Pittsfield, Massachusetts...been here 4yrs, 5mo and 27 days.
- What is your background... College? Bachelor of Science in Zoology from Michigan State University (dual major in Neurobiology and Animal Behavior), then it was off to Mozambique for 27 months in the Peace Corps (I taught human anatomy, biology, and genetics to 8-10th graders in Portuguese...yup, that was entertaining (for them)), Masters in Public Health from Tulane (focus on Global Maternal and Child Health and HIV/AIDS), currently a PhD student in International Health focusing on food security and child development in Malawi...oh, and procrastination!
- Pets? Buzi, the most incredible black lab ever, Clementine (AKA Tiny) my slobbering goof of a Great Dane, Dil (yes, only one "L") my 3yr old tiger kitty...a total momma's boy, and Einstein (AKA Munch, Munchkin, Steiner, Wad) the orange purr-ball.
- Outside of spending time with your pets... what is your favorite thing to do? TRAVEL!!! Camp, hike, ride my bike, and NAP!
- What is the best part of working for New Orleans Pet Care? Enzo, Gunner, Tycie, Max V., Patty, Max K., Dusty, Straya, Freddie & Dubya, Hummer & Perceval, and Doody (Diamond, Scruffy, and baby Tate all belong here too...R.I.P.)
- What is the worst part of working for New Orleans Pet Care? Traffic, construction, potholes, school buses, speed limits...oh, and picking up poop.
- Where do you see yourself in five years? Living in Geneva, Switzerland working for the World Health Org. That will be Dr. Sawyer to you...you can start practicing now.
- Coffee, Tea or Soda? Coffee before 9am, Chai or anything minty between 9-4, Vodka and Cranberry Juice after 5pm.
- If you could go out to dinner anywhere in the city this PM where would you go? Who's paying? If I have to pay...I'm going to Lebanon or maybe Juan's (mmmmmm...fish tacos!). If someone else is paying...Restaurant August it is!!
- If you could change one thing about New Orleans what would it be? Ignorance
- What is your favorite word? Nyamacimwakanyara...hey, you didn't say it had to be in English!
- What is your least favorite word? Moist, ointment, and panties...don't ask. It hurts just to type these :-/
- What turns you on? Intelligent conversation, good books, playing in the sun, and ROBERT MEACHEM!!
- What turns you off? The frat boys in the weight room at Tulane's gym, ignorance, liars, and anything almond flavored.
- What sound or noise do you love? Africa at night
- What sound or noise do you hate? Styrofoam rubbing together and plastic being crinkled
- What is your favorite curse word? Why pick just one? It's a tie between fuck and sonofabitch.
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I'd like to be a pilot, or a midwife...or maybe work for the Travel Channel and travel all over the world eating yummy food. I'd also settle for being a lawn gnome.
- What profession would you not like to do? I would NOT want to be a dentist...other people's plaque grosses me out.
- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? He would say "Oops, my bad...got the wrong Sawyer! You are free to go" However, with my history...I'm not so sure it will be the Pearly Gates I arrive at ;)
Monday, March 1, 2010