Sunday, November 17, 2013

7 Things...

I got sucked in... only because I got two emails about it!  I am so not interesting!  

1.  We are all adopted.  My brother Brock and I were born at Baptist Hospital in New Orleans and placed at the Volunteers of America Home.  I found out later in life that the neighborhood I have always been very drawn to was the neighborhood that the home was located in.

2. Our family home was an "Interim Foster Home" in Louisiana.  If children were picked up in the middle of the day or night, they would be brought to one of the homes and we would often receive ours at night.  I was woken up on more than one occasion to help make sandwiches and conversation with these poor darling children. The last two children we had was such an emotional experience that we literally asked our parents not to take anymore. That was the last two we ever had.

3. We adopted Derek as an infant when I was nine.  He has been my baby from that day to this... The moment he put the Saxophone in his hand he wanted to be a musician and our parents never discouraged his dream.

4.  I am a HUGE Daddy's girl.  Huge.  If you are one too I don't think that ever changes.  If you are a Daddy and have one I bet you get it too.

5.  I worked on a Cruise Ship and had the time of my life!  Some of the terms we use in New Orleans Pet Care are terms we used on the ship.  Yes - I was Julie McCoy... just not as effective or cute.

6. I lived in California and for the first few months it almost killed me.  I had no idea that people did not know what "go cups" were.  It was devastating.  When I was relocated back to New Orleans - it almost killed me.  I had to teach myself to slow down.  If my life in Corporate America taught me one thing... It taught me to take control of my life and do to what makes me happy and what I get excited to wake up and do - thus - New Orleans Pet Care.  California also gave me the blessing of meeting the love of my life.

7.  Life after Katrina will never be the same...  it put what is important in perspective.  "Things" are just not as important as they were before the storm.  People, friendships, holding hands, standing on the corner with a neighbor, chatting with random tourists, etc.... are.



No comments: