Saturday, May 21, 2011
Friday, May 20, 2011
Thursday, May 19, 2011
The recalled Diggers Natural Chews Pig Ears are as follows:
- Bulk pig ears in boxes of 100
- UPC #0-72929-00038-6
- Bulk pig ears shrink-wrapped in boxes of 50
- UPC #0-72929-99120-2
- 2-pack bags shipped in cases of 12 bags
- UPC #0-72929-99504-0
- 4-pack bags shipped in cases of 12 bags
- UPC #0-72929-00227-4
- 8-pack bags shipped in cases of 12 bags
- UPC #0-72929-99584-2
Alabama, California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri Montana, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington.
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Although these Pig Ears were not distributed here... it is a reminder that these products are not as safe as they should be!
Blackman Industries, Inc. Recalls Primetime Brand 2 CT., and 5 CT. Premium Pig Ears and KC Beefhide Brand 20 CT. Premium Pig Ears Because Of Possible Salmonella Health Risk
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Great time to help support LA/SPCA!
The Morganza Spillway has been opened and the communities within the Atchafalya Basin are expected to flood. The LA/SPCA has reached out to affected parishes. We will transport 60 dogs and cats to Texas for gauranteed adoption. This will allow the LA/SPCA Animal Rescue and Care Center to accept animals from the affected areas.A message from Wildlife and Fisheries: Wildlife and Fisheries is asking residents who need assistance with the removal of black bears forced into populated areas by floodwaters to call 800.442.2511, and to contact their local field office to report the location of any stranded wildlife – see phone numbers in this link:http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wildlife-field-offices-and-telephone-numbers
VOLUNTEERS STILL NEEDED: We need help to bathe animals that will be evacuated from our shelter to other agencies where they will be placed for adoption. We will start bathing after lunch today (1:00pm) and will need help tomorrow morning (7:30am) to finish up. Approx. 60 animals, so bring a friend!! They will pay you in kisses!! 131 Plant Rd. Houma, LA 70363
Monday, May 16, 2011
Warning To Dog Owners
Walmart, and other outlets throughout the US, UK and the world in general, are selling rawhide dog chews called Exer-Hide. These chews are been causing major seizures and even deaths among many dogs. When I searched the Internet, I found screens of reports going back to December last year in volume, and one was dated May 2007, yet Walmart and the other outlets are continuing to sell this lethal product unabated.
Sunday, May 15, 2011
Top 10 Pet Toxins of 2010
Both known and unknown toxins can be found hiding in our houses and yards. In 2010, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) in Urbana, IL, fielded more than 167,000 phone calls about pets exposed to possibly poisonous substances.
Human medications are once again at the top of the list of pet toxins for 2010. Almost 25 percent of our calls concerned human medications accidentally ingested by pets. The most common culprits include over-the-counter medications (ibuprofen, acetaminophen), antidepressants and ADHD medications.
About 20% of the calls to the APCC are about insecticides. Insecticides are commonly used on our pets for flea control and around our houses to control crawling and flying bugs. The most serious poisonings occurred when products not labeled for use in cats were applied to them. Always follow label directions.
Baits used to kill mice and rats are mostly grain based. Not only does this attract rodents, but it attracts dogs and cats. There are several different types of rodenticides that can cause seizures, internal bleeding or kidney failure. Always make sure these items are placed in areas that pets cannot access.
Xylitol, grapes, raisins, onions and garlic are commonly ingested by our pets. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs, while onions and garlic can cause anemia if enough is ingested. Xylitol, a sugar alcohol used to sweeten sugar free gums and mints, can cause low blood sugar and liver failure in dogs.
Many medications made for our pets are flavored for ease of giving. Unfortunately, that means that animals may ingest the entire bottle of medication if they find it tasty. Common chewable medications include arthritis and incontinence medications. Contact your veterinarian if your pet ingests more than his proper dose of medication.
Chocolate contains methylxanthines, which act as stimulants to our pets. The darker the chocolate, the more methylxanthines it contains. Methylxanthines can cause agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and death.
Cleaning supplies, such as bleach, acids, alkalis and other detergents, can cause corrosive injury to the mouth and stomach. Other household items such as batteries and liquid potpourri can cause similar problems. Always keep these toxins behind securely locked doors.
Both house plants and outdoor plants can be ingested by our pets. Lilies can cause life-threatening kidney failure in cats, while sago palms can cause liver failure in dogs and cats. Keep house plants and bouquets away from your pets.
Many herbicides have a salty taste, and our pets will commonly ingest them. Always follow label directions and keep pets off treated areas until they are dry.
Antifreeze, fertilizers and ice melts are all substances that animals can find outdoors. Keep these items in securely locked sheds or on high shelves where pets cannot get to them.
If you have any reason to suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please contact your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.